Saturday, August 01, 2015

You are here:

F1-VISA (Student Visa)

Before applying for an F-1 visa, first determine if you need an F-1 Student Visa. Anyone living outside the United States and coming here temporarily with the purpose of attending an academic, or English language institution, must obtain an F-1 Student Visa. LADO is authorized, under Federal Law, to enroll students with F-1 Student Visas. However, LADO International College does not require all potential students to have a student visa.

F-1 Student Visa application process from your country

We recommend that you contact LADO to begin this process at least three months before you plan to attend classes. This will allow enough time for LADO to issue the I-20 Form and for you to submit the I-20 and supporting documentation to the U.S. Consulate in your country for approval.

1.Request an I-20 Form from the LADO center that you would like to attend (Arlington, VA, Silver Spring, MD, or Washington, DC). Along with your request, you must send a completed application form , an initial payment for the registration fee, express mail fee (optional), and two months of tuition for the Intensive Program. Financial documentation from your sponsor must also be submitted. Your sponsor must show proof of financial support by supplying the following documents in English:

Letter certifying that your sponsor will support you financially. If your sponsor is currently residing in the United States, he or she will need to fill out an official Affidavit of Support (I-134 Form).

 Letter from the sponsor's bank with the date the account was opened, the present balance, and the total amount deposited in the past year.

Letter from the sponsor's employer stating the nature of employment, your sponsor's hire date, the salary paid, and whether the position is temporary or permanent. If your sponsor is self-employed, he or she must provide a copy of his or her most recent income tax return.

2.Once you receive the I-20 form, you will need to pay the $200 I-901 SEVIS Payment. The consulate will ask you for this receipt at your appointment. You can pay for the SEVIS payment online with a credit card or by Western Union at Department of Homeland Security. If you need assistance with this payment, please contact your LADO center for assistance.

3.Take the I-20 Form, I-901 receipt, and financial support documentation to the U.S. Consulate in your country to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. Other documents may be requested by the U.S. Consulate to support your visa application. We recommend that you contact the U.S. Consulate prior to your visa interview to find out if you will be required to supply any additional information.

4.Once your visa is approved, contact the LADO center that you will be attending to schedule a placement exam once you arrive in the United States.

If your visa application is rejected by the U.S. Consulate,

LADO will refund your tuition deposit and registration fee. In order to process your refund, you must return your original I-20 Form to LADO with your refund request.

Whenever an I-20 is rejected LADO will refund your tuition and registration payment in total, minus any express mail fees and bank fees incurred if you request your refund by wire transfer. However, if you request a refund because you decided not to come to the U.S. or you do not provide proof of rejection by the U.S. consular office in your country, LADO will refund your tuition in full but will not reimburse the $65.00 registration fee to you.

The deadline for a refund request is one year form the start date listed on your I-20 Form.

Change of Status Information.

If you have come to the United States with a different visa and you would like to become a full-time student, LADO can assist you with your Change of Status application. Please contact an Admissions Officer to schedule an appointment so we can assist your individual case. You may also download the appropriate documents at the bottom of the page.

F-1 Student Visa Restrictions.

Students with F-1 Student Visas must adhere to the following restrictions:

1.Students must pay for registration and at least two sessions of Intensive Program tuition in advance and study in the Intensive Program for a minimum of three consecutive sessions before transferring to another school in order to maintain their visa status.

2.Students must attend classes every day. Absences are allowed only for student illness or other student medical conditions.

3.Students must keep their passports valid and their I-20's unexpired at all times.

4.Students may only take authorized vacations.

5.Students are not allowed to work off-campus without official permission from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

6.When transferring out of LADO, students must prove that they have been accepted at another school and that they will start taking classes not later than 60 days from their last day at LADO or the next available start date at the new school, whichever comes sooner.

7.Students may work on campus at LADO for no more than 20 hours per week.

8.Students must report any change in address to LADO and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Do you have more questions?

Please see our frequently asked Visa Questions See our downloads for more information:

F-1 Visa Application Requirements
Change of Status Requirements for an F-1 visa
Affidavit of Support Form I-134
Change of Status Form I-539
Change of Status Form I-539 Instructions
Sample Sponsor Bank Letter
Sample Sponsor Employment Letter
Credit Card Authorization Letter
LADO Bank Wire Transfer Information




Terms of Use | Privacy Statement Copyright 2012 by LADO Enterprises, Inc.